It’s official! Mike and I are homeowners!!
We signed all the paperwork on Friday and were moved in on Saturday. By moved in, I mean all our stuff was moved out of our apartment and put into a pile at the house. I have everything unpacked except a box of books I kept from my college days and I honestly haven’t found a place for those to go yet so they are still in a box. I could keep talking about the process of unpacking but I already did in my other post Settling In.
Anyway, please excuse my rambling intro. Today I’m going to tell you all about some of the unexpected side effects of becoming a homeowner.
1. It’s fills you with an equal dose of freedom and dread. – You can put the pictures wherever you want and nobody will tell you that you aren’t getting a security deposit back because you used picture nails instead of sticky hooks. At the same time, you’re responsible for buying and changing the lightbulbs when they burn out and all the lightbulbs will eventually burn out.
2. Moving is tough. – I have mentioned this in other blogs but this is the third time my husband and I have moved in our first year of marriage. We pretty much have it down to a science now, but the process of packing up all your belongings and hauling them to an empty house just to put them away into unfamiliar places hasn’t gotten any less exhausting.
3. It can bring you closer to your partner. – Of course I married Mike because I was head over heals in love with him and super close to him. However I would just like to say that this year has been packed full of experiences that have brought us even closer and buying a house together is definitely one of them.
4. You will have to go to the store a lot. – So far we have been constantly making lists of stuff we forgot we needed and running back and forth to the store. I cannot stress this enough, budget in a little extra money for a lawn mower or hedge trimmers or a hammer? And any other things that houses need that apartments don’t.
5. You will love your new house. – I obviously like my house or I wouldn’t have bought it, but the more time I spend here hanging pictures and making it more homey the more I support our decision to become homeowners and the more I love the house.
So there you have it folks! The 5 unexpected side effects of becoming homeowners that I have discovered in week one of being a homeowner.
Don’t hesitate to leave a comment about your housing experiences, I would love to know if I should be prepared for anything else!